Table of content
Table of Contents
- What should you do to make your bug report effective?
We all know the worth of testing in the software development process. But do we know bug reports are equally important? An accurate bug report strengthens the development activity, as a result of which the product becomes more agile and interactive.
If you are still searching for how to create a bug report, this is the final destination. Our software testing blog explains the key features for an effective bug report format. Follow it and make the testing process easy & result-oriented. Being a testing company,
we believe a bug report should be specific to the problem so that developer could resolve it. Further, if the issue is not properly recorded, the developer will reject the bug by categorizing it as irreproducible.
Here the tester will really feel heartbroken and may their ego get hurt. Hence to avoid such situations pay attention to the bug report format and make it precise and uncomplicated.
What should you do to make your bug report effective?
See, creating a bug report is not challenging, but keeping it simple and to the point needs concentration and practice. Here, we are sharing some techniques that will help you out:
- Allocate Bug Number: While creating a bug report, make sure to assign a specified number to each of the reports. It will further help in bug identification. If you are creating a bug report using manual testing, you need to assign numbers manually. On the other hand, automated tools generate the unique number on their own.
- Make the bug reproducible: Sometimes, a tester finds the bug under some specific scenario, but the developer doesn’t get it. As a result, developers reject the bug. Hence, testers should make sure to mention the scenario in detail, so that developer could also found the bug reproducible.
- Keep it simple and to the point: The bug report should be short yet clear. Whatever bugs you are reporting, maintain its simplicity. Do not create unwanted complications. An accurate bug report helps the developer in understanding the issue and also saves time.
- Eliminate Duplicate Bugs: The process of testing, and development, is badly affected because of the duplicate bug. Also, they may create further issues in the project. Hence being a good tester, always verify the duplicate bugs and prepare the report accordingly.
- Avoid using commands: Developers are not magicians who always do wonders. Hence, always behave humanly with them and put your tone as a request, not a command. Commanding tones lead to an unhealthy surrounding that affects the project as well as the company.
How to create a bug report in Jira?
Jira is the most used tool for testing purposes. Here we will let you know about Jira bug tracking best practices. Further, it will make your bug report precise, practical, simple, and goal-oriented. Using Jira as a bug tracking tool is always a great choice. The tool is designed dedicatedly to highlight all the possible bugs in an effective and precise way. Features that make the Jira tool so reliable are
- Its efficiency towards tracking bugs of an application.
- Offers flexibility to set the priority of the bug.
- Facilitates assign feature.
- Also, keep the records of bugs from back-logs.
- Generate notifications that keep the team on alert.
Steps to create a bug report in Jira:
As we all know, the tool supports developers to track the exact status of a bug along with its complete details and scenarios. Further, workflow optimization is one of the amazing concepts that manages the entire process and increases productivity.
Now let’s see how to create a bug report in Jira?
Create Issue: This is the very first step to work with Jira. Here, you will be needed to select the project in which you have found the bug. Along with this, make sure to add the type of bug.
While using the bug tracking tool, we mention the issue type as “BUG”. The various types of Issues available in Jira are Task, Sub-task, Story, Epic, Bug, Incident, Problem, Change, and Service Request.
Mention Issue Details: After creating an issue, the tester will be required to add its details. The information shall mention everything about the bug. It includes the id of the bug along with a summary. Further, you should mention the description and reporter.
Priority and Version: While creating the bug report, mention its priority level and version. Further, there will be a need to add the label along with the environment. Make sure to mention the environment carefully because the developer will use the same environment while fixing the bug.
Add File and Share Affected Versions: In this section of bug reporting, one has to add the attachment file. The file will have information about the operating systems, hardware, and software. Also, make sure to mention if any version is getting affected
Select Assignee for the project: Once all the basic details about the bug are recorded, add the assignee who has to fix the issues. Also, add epic link and sprint. All these details will maintain the bug report format in Jira and thus developer’s time saves.
Hence, we have seen the JIRA testing tool has the ability to manage the bugs and generate an efficient bug report. Moreover, we at QAble have strong expertise in working with JIRA and other bug tracking tools.
Being a leading testing company in India, we always suggest the best option for our customers. Furthermore, if you have any queries related to testing, feel free to connect.
Get in email@example.com
QAble provides you with top performing extended team. Let us know how we can help you.