Table of content
Table of Contents
- What is Exploratory testing?
What is Exploratory testing?
Testing is an integrated process of software development because testing drives quality and reliability. We all know, testing includes various phases through which an application has to pass.
Exploratory testing is one of such phases, where the QA team analyses the application by utilizing their ideological approach and imagination power. Moreover, Exploratory testing does not have any specific method to follow. Also, there is no need to prepare test cases. A tester has to validate the application on the fly.
Also, Agile models follow the approach of Exploratory testing. In reality, Exploratory testing empowers your product and makes it more interactive.
Example of the testing method:
Exploratory testing depends on the thinking capability of the tester. One can understand it in a better way through an example: Suppose a developer is working on an Online Shopping Website, and after completing the development, he gives the product for testing.
Now during Exploratory testing, a tester has to validate the product under some real-time perceptions. These will be like:
- If the color combination of the website is suitable or not?
- What will happen if the users added the payment details and the internet goes off?
- How the application behaves if the user closes it forcefully?
So, a tester has to think in this way during Exploratory Testing. The concept of Exploratory testing revolves around prediction more. Also, if you are doing Exploratory testing, you have to examine it like a user rather than a tester. And to execute Exploratory Testing, one does not require technical knowledge.
Why do IT companies choose exploratory testing?
We have explained earlier that exploratory testing focuses on situations that may create risks. To make an application more user-friendly exploratory testing is mandatory.
And IT companies are pretty aware of this fundamental method in order to maintain the quality of the application. Furthermore, large-scale applications having complexity demand deep testing.
And when the application has to work in the public domain, it becomes essential. We cannot just expect an application to test through automated testing tools
Exploratory Testing and Automation Testing:
However, automation testing has its worth and significance. Quality & confidence that comes through exploratory testing is something that increases the potential of the application.
Further, during automation testing, the QA team tests the known scenarios. But there are lots of unpredictable conditions as well. These conditions even do not come to mind during automation testing.
Also, the automated tools have their parameters to examine an application. And exploratory testing explores an application by considering all the scenarios that may put the system at risk.
Additionally, exploratory testing enhances the potential of the product in the market. It is the reason exploratory testing is gaining momentum. As a result, IT companies prefer to validate the performance of an application through exploratory testing.
How should you structure exploratory testing?
Even though the testing method does not have any set approach, it should be carried by following a structure. Also, exploratory testing does not mean starting from anywhere and go anywhere.
Those who blindly perform exploratory testing face severe consequences because they lose their proper orientation. Hence to perform result-oriented exploratory testing, always follow the structure of exploratory testing so that you could make justification with the task.
So let us move towards the structure that one should create during exploratory testing. Things to remember Before directly jumping to the structure, perform the below-mentioned steps. It will make the exploratory testing process easy and effective.
- Set the mission of the testing activity.
- Make a note by mentioning what to test. Also, keep adding additional ideas that strike your mind during testing.
- Whatever module or activity you test, keep making its record.
Steps to structure the process of exploratory testing
#1- Bugs Classification
- During testing, whatever bug you find, make their record by categorizing them.
- Also, mention the cause of the issue and the scenario in which you find it.
#2- Create a planning chart
- Mention what you are going to test.
- Which steps will you follow to test?
#3- Allocate time to each module
- Each module should have a specific time to perform testing.
- Time allocation helps in optimizing the testing process.
#4- Collect the defects and analyze them.
- Whatever bugs you find, mention them.
- Review the results to cross-check
- Also, specify the module where you have found it.
The best way for Exploratory testing
Some defined activities and parameters make your process effective and productive. Yes, it applies everywhere. Here, we are mentioning the fundamental elements that one should have to perform Exploratory testing.
As we have initially stated that the process of testing does not have any definite script as it works on your thinking ability. But it does not mean that we should not take it seriously. The productivity of Exploratory testing increases when you follow its best practices. Here you go:
- Assign the task to the experienced team.
- Keep learning and explore your knowledge.
- Be patient during testing.
- Do a precise analysis of the scenario.
- Think as much as you can.
- Never create a rush to test everything.
These are the best ways to perform quality Exploratory testing. It will not only give you a productive system but also save your time.
Exploratory testing example
The above content justifies that Exploratory testing does not bound you to a limit. Additionally, it gives you a chance to explore the application in a more precise way. For your better understanding, we are sharing one example.
Suppose you have to perform Exploratory testing for a “Cab Booking Application”.Now the testing is dependent upon your thinking ability. You have to analyze the application more as a user rather than being a technical person.
What should be in mind during testing?
We are mentioning the things that should be in mind while testing Cab Booking Application but, it is applicable to the entire software development process. You have to check the flexibility of the application and how its navigation works. Apart from that, you will have to think about some uncertain situations like:
- What will happen if the user denies canceling the ride in a mid-way.
- Also, what will happen if the driver takes the booking but did not reach the destination?
- What will happen if the driver arrives at the wrong address?
These types of questions and analyses will make the application more precise and user-friendly. The more you explore the application, the more robust and interactive it will be.
As you have seen, Exploratory testing deals with a real-life situation, and during testing, there is no role of technical concepts.
Advantages of exploratory testing
Do you the significance of Exploratory testing? If no, we will let you know. People create any web or mobile application to get recognition and revenue. Exploratory testing has the power to achieve both aspirations. also sustains the application in the market. It closely examines the application from all possible perspectives.
As a result of which, the application becomes more reliable and trustworthy. By following the approach of Exploratory testing, you will get
- More interactive application.
- Real-time performance of the application.
- Fills the gap that automation has left.
- Result-oriented application.
- To test an application even without the technical knowledge.
- No need to create test cases.
Disadvantages of exploratory testing
In this world, everything has two sides. Nothing can be perfect. In the same way, exploratory testing has some limitations like:
- As we know, there is no planning sheet, so its bug reporting is a little bit challenging.
- Depends on the thinking ability of the tester because there is no set parameter hence it not everybody’s cup of tea.
When should you use exploratory testing?
If you are searching when you should use Exploratory testing, this section will help. Being in the competitive world, we should always follow the protocols to lead the competition. One should perform Exploratory testing when·
- They have completed their scripts and need to expand the testing approach.
- They need to test an application by considering real-time problems.
- There is a need to verify the untested functionality of the application.
- You are testing a complex application.
- Testing demands interactions.
We have tried our best to explain all the aspects of Exploratory testing. Also, at QAble, we have experts having versatile experience in Exploratory testing.By utilizing their dynamic talent, we have launched so many products in the market, and now they have acquired a bigger space in the public domain. So guys, following Exploratory testing is always worthy. To perform Exploratory testing, the individual
- Must have the ability to think
- Should be able to connect with real-life scenarios.
- Does not require technical knowledge.
- Should know to deliver the right message to the audiences.
If you are looking to make your launch successful, don’t forget to follow Exploratory testing. Also, if you have anything in mind regarding the testing method, feel to contact us.
We are always available with our quick assistance service. Stay safe and keep accessing the page to know more about testing.
Get in email@example.com
QAble provides you with top performing extended team. Let us know how we can help you.